Thursday, September 12, 2013

quick update...

So, a quick update. I made my first t-shirt ever! It's for sure not perfect, but I've been on the hunt for a long-sleeved gray Buckeye shirt for Rory for awhile now, and had it in my plans to make her one since last year. I invested in a serger sometime last year when it was on super-sale...partially to get me to do this project. And then I waited. For some reason the serger, and the threading of four different threads into this machine frightened me...and then I needed to take my sewing machine into the shop for some TLC after I'd inadvertently tortured it. (I know better now...)

Ok, so here is the unveiling...
Here's my favorite picture. It doesn't fit perfectly, but I'm pretty happy with my first attempt. She should at least be able to wear it this season. We'll see what other projects my new found skill leads to. Hmmmm...


I stenciled the block O on myself by printing the pattern onto freezer paper, cutting out the stencil and then ironing it on. It seeped a little since I didn't get it ironed on well enough, but overall, I'm thrilled with how it turned out.

Rory's rock 'n' roll face...
I created the pattern using one of Rory's t-shirts and then found an awesome tutorial online at Pieces by Polly for both the t-shirt and the freezer paper stenciling. I need to make Rory her own pi t-shirt for pi day next year. I love her blog. It has great ideas and tutorials. Just in time for the start of football season. Go Bucks!

Then for a treat one evening, we got into a favor from a good friend's wedding. They had bags of chocolate "rocks" and bags of sweet tart "legos." Rory had one of the blue legos a few nights ago and this was the result...I thought it was a great photo.




We can't wait for fall to get here. We just had to get a new air conditioner for the house after saving up and living with a small window unit in the meantime. It's been nice to have central air back, and hopefully our recent investment will mean fall weather is well on it's way. While I'd like to get some use out of our new much-more-energy-efficient-because-how-could-it-not-be, I'd be okay if it meant the end of the hot weather instead. Happy football season but more importantly, happy fall!

~~~


No comments: