What a happy new year it's been...the Buckeyes beat the Hogs in the Sugar Bowl. Now we don't have to move! It was a good game, and as it is with our two teams we cheer for, it was a matter of who was going to make the most mistakes and blow the game...Go Hogs! You win that prize for the year. And how about those basketball Buckeyes? I might have to start watching more college basketball, other than just the tournament.
Looking forward to the Super Bowl this evening, and kind of having a break from football for a little while. It tends to make our weekends less productive than they could be, and since my team didn't even have a chance to get into the playoffs (although maybe the first pick in the draft), I haven't been all that interested. Although I do root for the Steelers by marriage, it's not quite as much fun when it's not "your" team. Chad did end up picking up one of those giant cookies from the grocery store because it said "Go Steelers."
I had to write a little about fish tacos. I had some really good ones a few weeks ago during a girls night out at a local mexican restaurant, Oseguera's. They were amazing...especially with a margarita on the side. And I wanted more. So, I went to my favorite website, http://www.allrecipes.com/. It's a great place where folks post recipes. I start by only looking at recipes that have quite a few reviews and average at least 4.5 stars. Then I read through suggestions by other posters. Usually we can come out with an awesome recipe. So here's the one we tried: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fish-Tacos/Detail.aspx. We followed the recipe exactly as posted (which is rare) and will likely try a more healthy baked version next time, but these were AMAZING. The sauce is one of the keys. It's great. And the batter for the fish is great as well. Give it a try if you have a chance. It was definitely worth the effort. We served it with pico de gallo and avocado as well, and don't forget the shredded cabbage. It adds the perfect crunch. If I had thought of it, I would have taken pictures, but it didn't last that long.
And on to what you all have been waiting for, pictures of Rory.
![]() |
| Here's Rory on Sugar Bowl game day...donning her jersey that she loves to wear. |
| Out enjoying the snow in her homemade, Mama original hat and mittens...the first round of snow |
| Rory and her first snowman of 2011...Big Ben |
Happy Chinese New Year everyone. It's the year of the rabbit...if that doesn't mean a lucky year for me, I don't know what would. In my downtime, I've been working on a sweater for Rory and hopefully will be starting on a quilt for her soon. I usually save my hand quilting for the winter months, so I'll piece it while I can and start quilting next winter if all goes well. I've also been playing with my new Kindle and downloading as many free books as I can. It's kind of funny because many of the free books available are trashy romance novels. You can read them in public on your Kindle and no one is the wiser...
One of my best birthday presents was on the Saturday before my birthday. It went up to 73 degrees and was sunny, and beautiful. Usually I complain about days like that in the middle of winter since the temperature swings are so dramatic, but you couldn't beat sitting in the backyard, in the sun, sweating (!) and reading a book in January. That morning we went to the playground with friends and were playing on the equipment, sliding down the slide and swinging with Rory. What could be better? And then snow days the following week? If the first few weeks are any indication, this could be my best year ever!
I hope everyone has had a chance, with all this cold, wet, snowy weather we've been having across the country, to spend at least some time inside, with a warm beverage and their version of a trashy romance novel. Be safe and warm. Here's to more wonderful days and making the best of whatever comes your way.
And for Chad...Go Steelers.

No comments:
Post a Comment